Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Ali!



So I have this darling friend who turned a whopping 39 this week!!!! I can't even imagine turning 39, I might have to go get fitted for dentures and compression socks when I reach that ripe old age!(just razzing Ali, she had a hard time of it!~) Ali is one of my dearest friends and is from Canada also so we are able to commiserate together when we get supremely homesick. We are "kindred spirits" (for all you Anne of Green Gables fans!)much like sisters, we are definitely straight shooters with each other, there's no holding back or pretension, and she never judges me and believe me she knows way too much about me, I give her lots of opportunity to judge...I adore her.

I had a few of our close friends over this week for cake, tea and presents and girl time of course. I PROMISED I would post my recipe for her birthday cake. Glad you liked it girls....
Happy Birthday Ali, sure do love you, idiosyncrasies and all :)

I am a cake snob...I LOVE a cake from scratch, especially when my Mom makes it...but I have come to appreciate the fact that sometimes when you are in a pinch and need a quick cake a doctored up cake mix might be the way to go, so I'm including both and you can decide which one you have time for.


Lemon Cake

1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup soft shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour (sifted)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp fresh lemon zest

preheat 350 degrees.
grease and flour 3 8" layer pans
cream butter, shortening and sugar together until fluffy, beat in thoroughly 3 eggs. Sift dry ingredients together and add gradually while alternating with wet ingredients (water/juice and extract). Pour into prepared pans, bake until cake tests done (check after 12 minutes since layers cook faster). Finish with clear lemon filling in between layers and frost with lemon cream cheese frosting! Call over your girlfriends and enjoy!

if you would rather just doctor up a box cake here is the recipe:

1 yellow cake mix
1 3 oz package of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 eggs
1/3 c oil
1 tbsp lemon zest
combine all ingredients, pour into 8" greased and floured layer pans and bake at 350 degrees for 12-20 minutes.

Clear Lemon Filling

1 cup sugar
4 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
combine ingredients in saucepan, bring to rolling boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Chill before using.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting


2 3oz packages of softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
2 tsp lemon juice
beat on low until light and fluffy. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar. Add more if necessary until desired spreading consistancy is achieved. Stir in 1 tsp lemon zest.

1 comments:

Christine said...

Kara, you are so sweet to share this with us. You are such an amazing cook. Thanks for the good times!

relationships with orange

relationships with orange

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world of being an art teacher, full-time mommy, and law school student's wife. These are the comings and goings of this little lady and her entourage of five men (hubby plus 4 sons).